Period: Temporary assignment
Location: St. Eustatius, Dutch Caribbean
Project description: Full-time reforestation ranger
Sint Eustatius National Parks Foundation (STENAPA) is seeking a ranger for a recently started reforestation project. After hurricane Irma, September 2017, hundreds of trees were uprooted in and around Oranjestad. Due to the magnitude of the damage, Statia’s reforestation became one of STENAPA’s priorities. Trees prevent erosion and keep the soil together, but also offer shade, fruits, and beautify the island. The project is funded out of the hurricane reconstruction funds. Plants and seeds will only be sourced from local suppliers.
The project consists of 3 phases:
- Construction of two plant nurseries (greenhouses) near LVV and preparations for growing plants.
- Sourcing, propagating and growing plants.
- Planting out trees in and around town at designated areas.
Our new colleague has the following tasks:
- Maintenance of the greenhouses and watering system
- Problem solving of technical issues/ maintenance tools
- Buying and collecting plants/seeds from on island suppliers
- Growing and watering (distributed) plants
- Point of contact for visitors, schools and volunteers
- Act as a local ambassador for the project
- Planting and fencing designated plots
- Supporting the on-site manager
- Other tasks within STENAPA
STENAPA executes this project together with Mac & Field. This company is responsible for the project management. The reforestation-ranger will be working closely with the Mac & Field on-site manager and with the department of LVV. Furthermore he or she will be working with STENAPA’s botanical garden ranger and national parks ranger.
- Completed secondary education with additional education/training in gardening, agriculture or landscaping
- Preferably working experience as (assistant) gardener or working in a greenhouse
- Knowledge of local plants or the enthusiasm and willingness to learn about plants
- Drivers license
- Enthusiasm and willingness to share the story of the reforestation with visitors and schoolchildren
- Commitment for what you are doing
- Ability to work independently and deliver results
- Loves to work outdoors
- Other additional skills such as carpentry, car repair and painting are most welcome
What we offer
A challenging and interesting environment where you work within a close partnership between STENAPA, LVV, and Mac & Field. You will get a unique opportunity to learn and work with a variety of people. Working hours from 7 to 4 pm with one hour lunch break. The assignment is for 2 years, with the possibility of extension.
For more information about the project check: http://www.statiapark.org/info-reforestation/
Interested?! Send your cv and a motivation letter to Clarisse Buma by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date is 1 December 2018. Job interviews will be held in December. Expected starting date not before 1 January 2019.
|Separately from this vacancy, a botanical garden ranger position will be opened up soon.|