REGISTRATION IS OPEN. REGISTER NOW
The St Eustatius National Parks Foundation, STENAPA, and the Culture Department have been collaborating on the organization of the second National Parks Nature Chase on Statia Day, November 16, 2022. This ‘triathlon’ will give people the opportunity to visit all three National Parks in one day.
Date: Statia Day, Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Participation Fee: $45 ($15 per person in Relay Teams) – Non-refundable after Nov 1 (find a replacement)
Age Limit: 16 years old and older
- Male Individual
- Female Individual
- Relay Team (3 persons, 1 event per person)
- SWIM: 0.4 km
- BIKE: 9 km
- HIKE: 1.8 km
- TOTAL: ~11+ km
Estimated Total Time: 3 hrs
NOTE: Please consider that this event may be postponed or cancelled due to any emergency Covid-19 measures. Refunds will be made if this happens to be the case on the day. We hope it does not happen, of course.
Routes – Maps and Directions
The event will be taxing. Please be well rested from the day before.
The first leg of the event is the swimming leg. Participants will be fresh and rested. They start the race at the Beach by Scubaqua on Oranjebaaiweg, then along the submerged historical city wall to end at Smoke Alley.
- The starting signal will go off at 7:30 am
- Estimated duration: 10-20 minutes
- Approximate distance: 0.4 km
Assistance will be provided by The STENAPA Marine Team and others along the Swimming Route. If at anytime you cannot continue, or have any difficulty, they will be there to help you.
Allowed: Wetsuit, any stroke(s), practice, courage
Not allowed: flotation or swimming assists (fins, mask, snorkel, webbed fingers, etc).
This route takes you to the Boven National Park and then to the Quill National Park.
Estimated duration: 1 hour
Approximate distance: 9 km
Allowed: Water and water bottles, sportsmanship
Not allowed: Motor devices, alcohol, shortcuts
Part 1 of BIKE Route
Part 2 of BIKE Route
Bring your own bicycle or rent from Golden Rock Bikes +599 319 1196 / US Cell +1 908 417 1129 firstname.lastname@example.org. Perhaps you can rent one to train. Bikes have been reserved for the day of the event.
Your hike starts at the Entry Trail and continues to the Main Quill Trail, making a U-turn at the View Point, then descending to the Finish Line.
Estimated duration: 45 mins to 1 hour
Approximate distance: 1.8 km
Allowed: Taking photographs, leaving footprints
Not allowed: Removing or damaging anything in the National Park
STENAPA cannot host this event without the help of volunteers.
Thank you to everyone who has agreed to volunteer on the day. Everyone is needed to keep the event safe and to make it a success.
Meeting to organize volunteers: Date TBD …. Venue: STENAPA Office
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ
1. Will WATER be provided? – YES – Volunteers along the route will have water to refill your reusable water bottle. We are unsure if small snacks will be made available along the route, but refreshments will be waiting on your at the finish line.
2. Will precautions be made for our safety? – YES – On land and in the sea. Assistance, adequate guides (objects and person), smooth roads, rescue personnel are all being considered and will be worked into the planning. Asthmatic persons are advised to volunteer instead of participate. Please be careful and we will do the rest.
3. When do I need to register as a Participant by? – Register here
4. If I cannot finish the race, will I get a refund? – No – Take on the challenge, train, be prepared and aim for the finishing line. If you did not cross it this year, maybe you can cross it next year. Maybe even win.
5. Do I have to do all three legs, SWIM/BIKE/HIKE? – YES – either as an INDIVIDUAL or as a RELAY TEAM. There will be an Individual Trophy and a Relay Team Trophy
6. What does 1st Place win? – TROPHY! Bragging Rights! Also, 1 month subscription to Gym+Pool at the Sports Facility each and $10 Voucher for Celbees. All other participants will receive a Participation Award.
Refreshments and a small celebration will be held at the Garden in lieu of the prize giving event later or the following day.
The management of STENAPA is hoping that many persons take advantage of this opportunity to experience the beauty of the Parks. And, also, be the first to hold the trophy of what we hope will be a successful event.
For more information contact the STENAPA Office at +599 318 2884 or email@example.com.
Come for the Fun, Flora and Fauna!!!