Fulltime Botanical Garden ranger
Sint Eustatius National Parks Foundation (STENAPA) is seeking a ranger for the botanical garden. There are exciting times ahead. After a difficult period of destruction by the hurricanes and roaming animals, STENAPA is now building up the garden again. We have a new fence. Also, we are in the process of redesigning the garden and making the maintenance more efficient. The new ranger will play a key role in executing the new design and will become responsible for the maintenance. He/she will work closely with interns and volunteers,
Our new colleague has the following tasks:
- Executing the new design including adding more plants
- Regular maintenance incl. weed-whacking, mowing, watering, fence maintenance, removing corallita
- Finishing new shade-house
- Getting the irrigation system up and running again.
- Buying and collecting plants/seeds
- Point of contact for visitors, schools and volunteers
- Problem-solving of technical issues/ maintenance tools
- Other tasks within STENAPA
- Education and/or work experience in gardening, planting, agriculture or landscaping
- Knowledge of local plants/trees or willingness to learn about plants
- Driver’s license
- Technical insight to be able to repair weed-whackers, mower, etc.
- Ability to work independently and deliver results
- Supervise interns and volunteers, providing tasks and check.
- Other additional skills such as carpentry, car repair and painting are most welcome
- Good communicator, enthusiastic, wants to get things done
- Working experience in Statia or the wider Caribbean.
What we offer
A challenging and interesting environment where you work in an international team for the benefit of nature on St. Eustatius. Working hours from 7 am to 4 pm (1-hour lunch break). As the drive to the garden is long, you will take lunch with you for a few days per week and come back to the office in the afternoon. STENAPA gives you the opportunity to attend workshops and do additional training. The job of the botanical garden ranger is a permanent position.
Interested?! Send your C.V. and a motivation letter to Clarisse Buma, email@example.com. Closing date of this vacancy extension is 12 February 2019. Expected starting date ASAP.