Vacancy: Fulltime Botanical Garden ranger
Sint Eustatius National Parks Foundation (STENAPA) is seeking a ranger for the botanical garden. There are exciting times ahead for the garden. After a difficult period of destruction by the hurricanes and roaming animals, STENAPA is now building up the garden again. We have received reconstruction funds for a new fence. Also, we are in the process of redesigning the garden, in order to make the maintenance more efficient. At the moment we are in the stage of finishing the new design on paper and drawing up maps and work plans. The new ranger will play a key role in executing the new design of the garden, together with interns and volunteers, and will become responsible for the maintenance.
Our new colleague has the following tasks:
• Executing the new design including adding more plants
• Regular maintenance including weed-whacking, mowing, watering, fence maintenance, removing coralitta
• Finishing new shade-house
• Getting the irrigation system up and running again.
• Buying and collecting plants/seeds
• Point of contact for visitors, schools and volunteers
• Problem solving of technical issues/ maintenance tools
• Other tasks within STENAPA
• Completed secondary education with additional education/training/experience in gardening, planting, agriculture or landscaping
• Preferably working experience as (assistant) gardener/landscaper or working in a greenhouse
• Knowledge of local plants or the enthusiasm and willingness to learn about plants
• Driver’s license
• Technical insight to be able to repair weed-whackers, mower, etc.
• Ability to work independently and deliver results
• Supervise interns and volunteers, providing tasks and check.
• Other additional skills such as carpentry, car repair and painting are most welcome
• Good communicator
• Willingness to learn and to collect information online.
• Working experience in Statia or the wider Caribbean.
What we offer
A challenging and interesting environment where you work in an international team for the benefit of nature on St. Eustatius. Working hours from 7 am to 4 pm (1 hour lunch break). As the drive to the garden is a long, you will take lunch with you for a few days per week and come back to the office in the afternoon. STENAPA gives you the opportunity to attend workshops and do additional training. The job of the botanical garden ranger is a permanent position.
Interested?! Send your C.V. and a motivation letter to Clarisse Buma by email to email@example.com. Closing date is 13 January 2019. Expected starting date not before 1 February 2019.
STENAPA is also in the process of recruiting a reforestation ranger for the reforestation project, which is a temporary assignment.